Now that spring has arrived in Mississauga, ON, home owners are tackling their spring cleaning to-do lists. But is a garage door tune-up on your to-do list this spring? It really should. After months of exposure to ice and snow, a little maintenance can go a long way toward repairing winter damage.
You should maintain your garage door regularly if you want it to expand its life span. This article discusses some of the most common garage door maintenance and repair jobs.
1. WATCH AND LISTEN TO YOUR GARAGE DOOR.
Keep track of how your garage door works by watching and listening as you open and close it. You’ll know how the door should look and sound if you keep an eye on it regularly, and you’ll notice if anything is wrong. Listen for and look for the following signs of a malfunctioning garage door or opener:
- Slow opening and closing
- Jerky and uncoordinated movements;
- Unusual volume;
- Noises of grating, scraping or grinding
2. Test the Garage Door Balance
To assess the balance of the garage door, follow these steps:
- As you close your garage door, pull the red emergency release cable to disconnect the operator arm from the trolley. Check for broken springs before removing the safety release.
- Lift your garage door by hand until it is halfway up. When the door is halfway up, let go. The door should be held in place by correctly adjusted torsion springs. If your garage door rises or falls on its own, it is out of alignment. Spring extension or stretch may cause the door to slip before coming to a stop.
- Move your hand to open the door and then let go. The bottom section should not droop as it rises over the threshold. Torsion springs must be tightened if the door slips down from the fully open position.
- Allow the door to fall to the ground completely closed. The bottom of your garage door should stay in touch with the floor. If the door begins to rise off the ground, your torsion springs are overstressed.
3. LUBRICATION OF GARAGE DOOR
The garage door system may need to be lubricated if it is making a lot of noise. Regular lubrication is beneficial to many parts, including tracks, hinges, wheels, and springs.
4. KEEP THE TRAILS CLEAN AND DEBRIS-FREE
The tracks on either side of your garage door open and close it, guiding the wheels along their course. A tiny obstacle might harm the wheels and cause the garage door to become misaligned. At the start of the spring season, inspect the status of the tracks to ensure that nothing detrimental is obstructing the wheels.
Spring Cleaning? Don’t Forget Your Garage Door!
5. EXAMINE THE GARAGE DOOR AND GARAGE DOOR OPENER’S HARDWARE.
Loose hardware puts your garage door at risk, so make sure it’s tight. With a few screwdrivers and an adjustable wrench, you should be able to examine all of the hardware. The garage door tracks are held in place by the brackets and The bolts that hold the garage door opener in place. The garage door’s hinged brackets run between the panels.
6. GARAGE DOOR SPRINGS REPLACEMENT
The spring on your garage door plays a crucial role in the door’s functionality and your safety. Every spring in existence wears out eventually, which means you need to be aware of the signs that one has broken or stopped working. If the garage door falls fast when it comes down, you probably have a broken spring. Contact Master Tech Garage Door to find out more and get those springs replaced.
7. INSPECT THE GARAGE DOOR ROLLERS AND REPLACE ANY THAT ARE DAMAGED.
You may have broken garage door rollers if you notice your garage door becoming noisier and moving more erratically. Good rollers help to a quiet, uniform movement of the garage door. Replacing rollers is as easy as removing the roller bracket from the garage door and replacing it with a new roller. You may get new rollers from your local hardware store or a garage door repair service. You should get these rollers replaced by a professional.
8. INSPECT THE PULLEYS AND CABLES ON YOUR GARAGE DOOR.
Inspect the PULLEYS and CABLES of your garage door for fraying or damage. Examine the area above your head for any loose, dangling wires or broken springs, since these might indicate a significant problem with your pulley system. You should contact a professional if you observe any of these signs during your examination.
9. INSPECT THE WEATHERSTRIPPING ON YOUR GARAGE DOOR
Weatherstripping on your garage door is necessary throughout the year. It prevents rain, snow, water, and air from entering your garage and living area. Remove the nails on a wooden garage door to unhook the weatherstripping.
10. TEST SAFETY FEATURES
Experiment with the Auto-Reverse Function:
while moving, your garage door hits resistance automatically. The automatic reverse mechanism stops it. To test the auto-reverse feature, put a piece of block, for example, along the garage door track. Close the door from an open position. When the garage door collides with a brick, it should reverse and reopen automatically. If your garage door does not open when it comes into touch with the brick stack, get it examined by a professional.
Test the Photoelectric Eye:
Hold a broom handle along the course of your closing garage door to put the photoelectric eye to the test. Wave the broom handle across the path of the closing garage door. When the broom handle fractures the laser between the photoelectric eyes, the door should reverse direction.
11. GROOM YOUR GARAGE DOOR
Consider a new coat of paint. There is no faster, a simple, or less expensive method to completely change your garage door appeal.
A thorough clean of the garage is an excellent first step toward a brand-new look for a garage whose beautiful exterior mirrors the enticing organization stored behind its doors.
Do you want to learn more about garage door maintenance in the spring? Call (905) 267-0210 to learn more about how we can help you with your garage door.
Master Tech Garage Door, located in Mississauga, Milton, Toronto, and Oakvaille, is the company to contact for all of your garage door needs. With over 18 years of experience and a dedicated crew, we provide excellent and trustworthy same-day 24/7 services such as same-day repairs, garage door service, garage door repair, garage door accessories, garage door installation, garage door maintenance, and more. Our crew listens to and understands our clients’ specific needs, and we strive to give the highest quality craftsmanship possible.